Make this for breakfast or even dessert! A delicious combination of sweet ripe plantain, tvorog (cottage cheese), and cherries.
Who doesn’t love the sight of ripe plantains in the morning, when the sun is so low and bright? You will need to plan ahead to give the plantains time to bake, but it’s worth it.
I made this on a whim for Sunday morning breakfast, in my first attempt to try tvorog. It’s loved by Ukrainians, and I must say that I did quite enjoy it served this way.
BAKED PLANTAINS WITH TVOROG AND CHERRIES
Serves: 2 people
- 2 large ripe plantain bananas
- 150 gr. tvorog (cottage cheese)
- handful of cherries, chopped
- optional mix-ins: cinnamon, cocoa, ground flax, honey, raisins, etc.
- Peel the plantains, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime, mix the tvorog with whatever you desire. I used cinnamon, ground flax, and honey.
- Remove the plantains from the foil and slice them down the centre. Carefully fill with tvorog mixture and top with cherries.
- Place them under the broiler for about 2 – 3 minutes until they achieve a crisp, golden colour.
Slice and enjoy! Or dig in with a spoon.